Movies That Will Change Your Perspective in Life

The Pursuit of Happyness




This movie embodies the struggle of all parents in the world - the struggle to make a living for their family. I have watched the movie a couple of times and cried on each of them. The most significant lesson it taught me was how to be contented with what I have and how to make the most of it. It made me realize how difficult and beautiful life is, and that there is always rainbow after the rain. Only if one never gives up.

Big Fish



The movie revolves around the story of Edward. He narrates his inconceivable adventures to his son, William who never believed it. William thought his father's stories are exaggerated and lies. This is the movie I watch every Father's Day because it makes me realize that I need to value the time that I have now with my father.

Click




Click is an Adam Sandler classic. Michael (Adam Sandler) has been given a magical remote that controls time. Amazed by what it can do, he abused its magic, and paid the price for it. What I learned in this movie, is that you cannot control time. If you are not happy with the life you live, you do something to change it NOW. Michael tried to control his life and only chose to live the good parts, which made him distant from what really matter - family, relationships, love. That is something I don't want to happen with me.

Dead Poets Society


Dead Poets Society is arguably one of the best films. It will make you contemplate life, and learn how to appreciate things more. Robin Williams was a brilliant actor; no one could have portrayed the role better than he did. My favorite quotation,
"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for."
This movie will stick to me for as long as I live. Why? I was incredibly inspired by it. He taught the boys about more than just poetry — he taught them about making the most out of life.

The Bucket List



Two men who have nothing in common except for their terminal illnesses, shared a hospital room together. They decided to do all the things they have ever wanted to do before they die according to their bucket list. In the process, both of them heal each other, become unlikely friends, and ultimately find joy in life. This movie taught me what I honestly want to do in life. Doing what I want before I disappear in the world. Living my life without any regrets. And the greatness of friendship, having someone you can share anything with - your sorrow, happiness, dreams and adventures.

Heaven is for Real



Based on a true story, Heaven is for Real teaches me about faith. Definitely a tear jerker. 


The Little Prince


What the Little Prince taught me is that I will never be young forever. As I grow I will learn about the struggles in achieving my dreams. But if I never give up, in time I will receive what is meant for me. 

Hachiko



I know we all cried. I can take any movies that involve a dying person but not about a dog who was beyond loyal to his owner. What broke my heart more is the fact that this movie is based on a real life story. After watching it, you will never think of dogs the same way.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button



The movie tells the story of Benjamin Button, a man who ages backwards. I think we have all watched this by now. I thought to myself, what if I was born that way? How could I have lived? This movie taught me how precious time is.

My Sister's Keeper



It tells the story of 13-year-old Anna, who sues her parents for medical emancipation when she is expected to donate a kidney to her sister Kate, who is dying from leukemia. This movie is a tear-jerker. The most important lesson I learned is to always be there for your family.


Amistad



Amistad is a slave ship that sailed from Cuba to America. During the long trip, Cinque lead the slaves in an unprecedented uprising. They came to America and then held prisoner in Connecticut. Their release became the subject of heated debate. This is a real story. It happened and it is in our history books. I watched this movie because of our project in a subject in College. I was very moved. I learned how the world was back then, and how lucky I am not to experience it today.


12 Years a Slave



In the pre-Civil War United States, Solomon Northup, a free black man from upstate New York, is abducted and sold into slavery. Facing cruelty at the hands of a malevolent slave owner, he struggles not only to stay alive, but to retain his dignity. I really like this movie because it is educational, and an eye-opener. Makes you think how lucky you are you weren't born during the era of slavery.



Miracle in Cell No. 7



The movie, Miracle in Cell No. 7 is a box office hit and it taught us many things. First, how cruel this world can be to incapacitated people. In the movie, a father (Yong-gu) was convicted of murder and sexual assault to a child. Nobody believed that the father was innocent. Because of his mental condition, he feared of speaking the truth because no one was on his side. 

Second, how unfair the justice system is. Not all people are given equal opportunities when it comes to seeking justice. In this movie, Yong-gu, the father did speak of the truth but no one wanted to defend him. Due to circumstantial evidences, it became more convenient for them to admit that he committed the crime. Abuse of power is evident in the movie, as it is in real life.

Third, a daughter's love and determination is limitless. Only his daughter knew that he was innocent. She studied law and persevered in life to clear the false accusation/charges sentenced to his father and to be with him again. She did not give up hope.